Edguy "Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown" - because credibility and reputation mean nothing!

Hang on, just hang the fuck on! I know, I fucking know! Eminent Silence's posts thus far have focused on some of the filthiest, darkest, murkiest and buttfuck ugly releases known to man.  The last review I posted was Impetuous Ritual's latest release and now we have gone from that grim and harsh wall of hatred to this catchy, hook-laden foot tapper in the space of a fortnight!

Fact is, many moons ago I was told "variety is the spice of life" (taste is the enemy of art, blah, blah) which although a massive cliche is actually one of the most valid and relevant pieces of advice I have ever listened to.  There is no real need to justify the support and applause of an Edguy album, for years I never paid them any attention and then two weeks ago I heard "Love Tyger" (see below) and it has been stuck in my head ever since.  It's just such FUN!! Tongue in cheek, cheesy as fuck......all the phrases you can throw at it make no difference, it's just irresistible.
 From the opening track "Sabre & Torch" it's clear that this will be an infectious and memorable experience with it's blistering metal riffs and screeching vocals.  From here on in the record just builds in layers of hooks and undeniable (yet assured) confidence.  There's no trepidation in what Edguy are delivering here, no apology for the cheesy nature of the end product.  It is what it is and is (rightly) unashamedly proud of the fact.

Sat in the car this morning with the windows down playing this loudly left me with a massive smile on my face for the entire duration.  Edguy have taken a thoroughly well earned place in my potential album of the year list with an honest and open release with some great musicianship thrown in to boot!

 "Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown" is available now via Nuclear Blast Records.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Excommunion "Thronosis"

End Of Year List - Countdown - Number 6

Megadeth "Dystopia"